Monday 15 July 2013

Physiotherapy in a former mental hospital

Today I headed off for my first physio session kindly arranged by Benenden.

Interestingly the physio is based in a health club located in the main hall and chapel of a former mental hospital.

I can remember when the planned development was finally agreed about 15 years ago. I set off one light summer evening to explore the old site. After finding an open gate, I spent an hour wandering avenues of Victorian buildings in various stages of disrepair, communing with the ghosts of former inmates. Metaphorically speaking.

Then spent another hour trying to find a way out after the gate had mysteriously locked...

After getting off the bus this morning, I walked through the gate and asked the security/reception staff for directions to the health club.  It turned to be at the top of the hill next to the gothic water tower dominating the site.  The inside was equally ornate - all patterned bricks and high decorated ceilings. Fantastic!  And I mean that in all senses of the word.

After my appointment, I meandered around the site, marvelling at the transformation from institution to a gated community of posh (but very pleasant) houses and flats.

What would it be like to live in a former mental hospital surrounded by unhappy ghosts?

No comments:

Post a Comment