Thursday 11 July 2013

TB society helps with physio and cancer costs

My GP has put me on the waiting list for NHS physio for my back, but she said the waiting list could be up to 12 weeks, but I might get in sooner if there was a cancellation.

My back is really bothering me so I didn't really want to wait that long, so I contacted Benenden.  You may be wondering what I'm talking about. Let me tell you about Benenden.  It is an unusual organisation - it isn't health insurance and it isn't a cashplan.  Benenden is a members (mutual organisation) organisation that provides healthcare assistance to members on a discretionary basis.  The subs are only £7.80 per month and it doesn't go up with age.

It started off as a sanatorium society for post office workers in 1905 when TB was a big killer of young adults.  Twenty years later Civil Servants joined the scheme and it became the Post Office and Civil Servants Sanatorium Society - it was still called that when I joined about 20 years ago.  Nowadays it helps members with many other health conditions not just TB.

Anyway after a telephone consultation, they agreed to arrange a physio package for me. When I mentioned in passing that I was being treated for cancer, they told me that Benenden also helps with out of pocket expenses associated with cancer eg travel costs, home help, mastectomy bras etc and a recuperative break at the end.

This sort of thing makes you realise that friendly societies are still important in this day and age.

No comments:

Post a Comment