Friday 10 January 2014

Herceptin year drawing to an end.

I had two appointments this week, one with the plastic surgeon to discuss further reconstruction plans and then my penultimate Herceptin treatment.

The discussion with plastic surgeon helped me get clear about my options and I've now decided to go for a DIEP reconstruction.  This will involve a long operation to transfer fat from my abdomen to my reconstructed breast.  There seems to be a long wait on the nhs for plastic surgery so I am also investigating other options.

The following day, while the Herceptin was dripping in I managed to fall asleep twice and the nurse had to wake me.  It is the first time I've fallen asleep during Herceptin and I'm not sure what this is telling me.

It is strange to think I will soon be saying goodbye to Barts after going there for regular appointments for over a year.  I really hope I don't end up back there with a future recurrence.  I know there is no point in having more than a year of Herceptin - there is good evidence that the benefits are the same for one year as for two.  But all the same, while I'm having Herceptin I feel that level of protection is in place, which will soon be snatched away and all I will with have left is my daily Anastrozole tablet.

No comments:

Post a Comment